Sunday, August 7, 2011

Will & Jada Pinkett Smith’s Mega Malibu Mansion


by HOOKEDONHOUSES on AUGUST 4, 2011

When I got an email from my friends over at Architectural Digest saying they had snagged Will and Jada Pinkett Smith’s mega Malibu mansion for the September cover, I couldn’t wait to see the photos. It’ll be out on magazine racks near you August 9th, but here’s a sneak peek at the house tour.

The 25,000-square-foot adobe-style house was designed by architect Stephen Samuelson, with interiors by Judith Lance.

Jada told AD: “For Will and me this home was always a spiritual endeavor. We’re very earthy, organic people. We wanted to create a family retreat, something made by hand and as natural as possible, something that ties back to the land.”

This is labeled as the living room, but it looks like an outdoor kind of living space, doesn’t it? I thought it was a long covered porch at first.

Will says he was inspired to build a house like this after seeing Gene Hackman’s adobe-style home in Santa Fe. (Hackman was his costar in the late 1990s thriller Enemy of the State.)

This is the “bedroom terrace:”

The “Today” show ran a segment about the AD article on Tuesday and showed more of the house. These are just some small screenshots I took while watching it, but they give you an idea of how some of the other rooms in the house look (you can see editor Margaret Russell’s interview here):

It’s interesting to read the comments on various message boards about the property now that the photos are coming out. The recurring theme seems to be “Way too big!” One person questions why any family–even a famous one–would need a place “so obnoxiously huge.”

Obviously, the Smith family has privacy issues and entertaining needs that most of us don’t, but it’s hard for us regular folk to imagine feeling at home in this much space. I might need a map to get back to my bedroom at night (maybe some of those helpful “You Are Here” floorplans they have posted in malls).

Here’s the bird’s eye view of the estate that gives you a better idea of just how massive this place is, sitting on 150 acres:

I think the rooms look pretty comfortable and “human sized,” though, despite the overall size of the estate. What do you think?

For more information, visit Architectural Digest or grab the new issue when it hits stands next week. (Photos by Roger Davies and Art Streiber.)

Click here to see more Celebrity Houses!

P.S. Whenever I see a photo of Will and Jada’s daughter Willow, her catchy “Whip My Hair” song starts running through my head. Now I’ll be humming it all day… :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Contact US

celebrityhomeforsale@gmail.com

Share