Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cary Grant’s Former Home in Palm Springs For Sale


by HOOKEDONHOUSES on MAY 12, 2011

Okay, so I have what could be called a small obsession with Cary Grant. He’s one of my all-time favorite movie stars, and when I’m having a bad day, there’s nothing like watching one of his comedies to cheer me up. So when I saw that his former home in Palm Springs, California, was on the market, I had to check it out!

It’s a 1927 Spanish house that sits on 1.54 acres and was Grant’s Hollywood hideaway for 20 years. The asking price for this piece of movie-star history is $2.9 million.

The Great Room features a 40-ft vaulted ceiling:

I have certain Cary Grant comedies I watch over and over again and they always make me laugh. I especially love His Girl Friday with Rosalind Russell and My Favorite Wife with Irene Dunne (the country house in MFW is one of my favorites!).

The Guest Wing was designed by Wallace Neff, who was also responsible for Reese Witherspoon’s country house in Ojai and Amanda’s house in The Holiday, among many others.

The house doesn’t look very big, but there are 6 bedrooms, 5.5 baths, and 5 fireplaces. I’m loving the green tile in this bathroom:

I have to say I expected something more formal and movie-star like for one of Cary Grant’s houses but was pleasantly surprised by how warm and comfortable it looks. I mean, I know the furnishings weren’t his, but the house itself looks down to earth and homey to me.

Another great feature of the house are these gorgeous blue shutters:

Cary Grant’s daughter Jennifer Grant (whose mother is Dyan Cannon), has written a new memoir about her famously private dad, called Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant. He retired from acting at the age of 62 to focus on being a father and spent the final 20 years of his life doing just that.

For more photos and information about his former home, check Zillow for both an article about it and the listing.

Any other Cary Grant fans out there? Check out the houses from:

Click Here to See More Famous Houses!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Contact US

celebrityhomeforsale@gmail.com

Share