Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Venice Canal Bungalow in “Because I Said So”


by HOOKEDONHOUSES on AUGUST 24, 2010

Because I Said So-movie poster

The 2006 comedy (using term loosely) Because I Said So, starring Diane Keaton as a meddling mother with three grown daughters, may have gotten lousy reviews, but I think the sets were fun to look at! Producers say they wanted to show the best of L.A., so they shot in places like Malibu and Venice Canal.

My favorite of the houses had to be Johnny’s, a charming bungalow on the Venice Canal. So I was excited when I heard that 1) it was a real house, not just a set, and 2) it was for sale.

Canal

Here’s the front of the house, as seen from the canal:

view of house from canal

When the movie was filmed, the house belonged to actor Garett Maggart (who happens to be the half-brother of singer Fiona Apple). It’s a two-bedroom, two-bath home and had an asking price of $1.265 million. The listing is still up for now, even though it just sold.

Because I Said So-canal house 1

In this scene from the movie, Johnny (Gabriel Macht) brings Milly (Mandy Moore) home to meet his son for the first time:

Venice house-doors

The front door shown in the listing:

Because I Said So-canal house 2

The house was built in 1924.

Venice house-living rm

Milly in the kitchen, crying over spilt dishes:

Venice house-Kitchen

I love those yellow cabinets:

Venice house-kitchen

Venice house-kitchen 2

The fireplace shown in the film:

Venice house-LR

And in the listing:

Venice house-dining

The bedroom:

Venice house-bedroom

You can see the rest of the photos in the listing (thanks to Lu for the info!).

Daphne’s House

Now let’s take a look at Daphne’s (Diane Keaton’s) house. They never gave us a good look at the exterior in the movie, but I caught this quick glimpse of it during the DVD Special Features:

Daphne's house

They said that they filmed a lot of the movie in Malibu, so I’m guessing that’s where this house was. Daphne’s Living Room:

Daphne's Living Rm

Kitchen:

Daphne's kitchen

Study:

Daphne's study

Milly’s House

Milly's kitchen

Milly (Mandy Moore) is a baker with an eclectic style that is reflected in her house. It’s a little retro and a little modern. Very fun.

Milly's kitchen 2

Milly's couch

Milly's LR

An overhead view of the living room shows Daphne and Milly rearranging the furniture:

Milly's LR overhead

Which of the three houses from the movie is your favorite? I would take the Venice Canal bungalow in a heartbeat. How about you?

Visit TV/Movie Houses to see more Diane Keaton movies, from Baby Boomto The Family Stone.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Contact US

celebrityhomeforsale@gmail.com

Share